EAST RUTHERFORD — In most instances, phone calls from NFL teams bring good news for players. They wait by the phone on draft day or during free agency hoping it will ring.
There is one major exception. Every NFL team must cut its roster from 90 players to the 53-man limit by 4 p.m. on Saturday. Front offices will make calls on Saturday morning to inform players that they’ve been cut.
Giants wide receiver Tavarres King is hoping his phone remains silent.
“I tell all my family, ‘Don’t even call me, I’ll call you,’ ” King said.
King isn’t new to the roster bubble. A fifth-round pick by the Broncos in 2013, King was cut by the Panthers at the end of the 2014 preseason and the Buccaneers at the end of the 2015 preseason. The 27-year-old finally had a positive cut-day experience last year when he made the Giants’ roster after a strong preseason.
“I was just sitting around the phone all day waiting,” King said. “Every time your phone rings you’re looking at seeing if it’s a number from (the Giants). It’s a nerve-wracking day.”
King said his phone remained silent last year. There was no congratulatory call from the Giants after he made the roster.
“I think I saw it on the internet,” King said.
King didn’t figure to be on the roster bubble after a strong finish to last season. He was a healthy scratch for nine games last season, including six straight entering the regular season finale.
King finally got an opportunity in Week 17 and made the most of it with a 44-yard catch to set up the go-ahead field goal late in the Giants’ 19-10 win over the Redskins. The speedy 6-foot-1, 192-pounder followed up with three catches for 73 yards and a touchdown in the Giants’ 38-13 loss to the Packers in the Wild-Card round of the playoffs.
“I was glad that (the Giants) saw the potential that I had and the playmaking ability that I have,” King said. “But I feel like it’s big to grow on that.”
An ankle injury this summer has prevented King from building…