LAS VEGAS (AP) — The Latest on the mass shooting in Las Vegas (all times local):
A tribute to last week’s mass shooting victims preceded the Vegas Golden Knights opener against the Arizona Coyotes on Tuesday.
Members of the Golden Knights organization accompanied 26 first-responders onto the ice. Eight nurses, seven firefighters, six police officers, three paramedics and two doctors were recognized before the debut of the city’s first major league professional sports franchise.
A gunman opened fire on a country music festival on Oct. 1, killing 58 and wounding nearly 500. Hospitals were overflowing with victims and many tales of heroism have arisen from the chaos.
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said it was “an honor and a privilege” to be in the city that has banded together in solidarity after the attack.
The more than $10.4 million that has been donated to help victims of the shooting at a Las Vegas music festival will be administered by the attorney who has handled funds for victims of the Boston Marathon bombing and the Pulse nightclub massacre in Orlando, Florida.
Officials in Nevada’s Clark County on Tuesday announced Kenneth Feinberg has agreed to lead the efforts to develop a process to distribute the money. The GoFundMe account includes a $3 million donation by festival venue owner MGM Resorts International.
Feinberg has recommended establishing a committee of community leaders to develop the plan that will be used to give out the money.
The compensation czar distributed about $62 million in the aftermath of the marathon and around $29 million following the club shooting in Orlando.
A spokeswoman for the Las Vegas hotel where a gunman committed the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history is questioning the latest timeline of events provided by police.
MGM Resorts International spokeswoman Debra DeShong said Tuesday the company believes “what is currently being expressed may not be accurate.”
She didn’t elaborate, but the…