Trump says ‘talking is not the answer’ with North Korea

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump said Wednesday that “talking is not the answer” when it comes to North Korea, after it upped the stakes in its standoff with Washington by calling for more weapons launches in the Pacific.

Trump’s morning tweet followed a highly provocative North Korean missile test Tuesday that flew over Japan, a close American ally.

But his comment contradicted statements from his Cabinet officials and was likely to deepen confusion over his administration’s policy on the nuclear threat from Pyongyang. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis on Wednesday told reporters, “We’re never out of diplomatic solutions,” and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson had hinted at possible direct talks with North Korea.

Trump’s tweet returned to a familiar theme: the failings of past U.S. administrations to halt North Korea’s weapons development over the past quarter-century. The North last month tested for the first time a long-range missile, putting it closer to its goal of posing a direct nuclear threat to the U.S. mainland.

Most Read Stories

Unlimited Digital Access. $1 for 4 weeks.

“The U.S. has been talking to North Korea, and paying them extortion money, for 25 years. Talking is not the answer!” Trump said.

Trump’s tweet did not spell out what he meant by “extortion.” The White House did not immediately respond to questions.

North Korea has in the past temporarily halted nuclear development when the U.S. and others provided food aid or other types of compensation. According to the Congressional Research Service, between 1995 and 2008, the United States provided North Korea with more than $1.3 billion in assistance: slightly more than 50 percent for food aid and about 40 percent for energy assistance. But since early 2009, the U.S. has provided virtually no aid to North Korea. The last formal talks between the two sides on the North’s nuclear program were in 2012.

The North hasn’t made…

Read the full article at the Original Source..

Back to Top