Looking ahead it is imperative we take a global view, include embracing opt-in as prescribed by CASL and GDPR, and adopt email authentication and related best practices to maximize trust and confidence in the inbox.
Reston, VA (PRWEB)
August 30, 2017
The Online Trust Alliance (OTA), an Internet Society (ISOC) initiative with the mission to enhance online trust, today announced it has submitted its response to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC) request for comments about the CAN-SPAM Act. While OTA believes the U.S. anti-spam law, combined with business self-regulation, have successfully slowed the growth of spam overall and provided consumer choice and control over email they receive, OTA recommends additional enhancements to further modernize and clarify CAN-SPAM.
“Better email filters, the mass adoption of email authentication technologies, increased sender sophistication and international regulations have forced companies to follow best practices or not make it to the inbox,” said Jeff Wilbur, director of the OTA initiative at Internet Society. “OTA’s most recent Email Marketing & Unsubscribe Audit found an encouraging 94 percent of the top retailers honored an unsubscribe request within three business days, while the remaining 6 percent did not honor the opt-out within the prescribed 10-day window. This is concerning since it is likely that smaller entities have even lower compliance rates.”
“We have seen tremendous evolution and innovation in the email channel worldwide since I helped with the development of the CAN-SPAM Act,” said Craig Spiezle, OTA founder and chairman emeritus. “Looking ahead it is imperative we take a global view, include embracing opt-in as prescribed by CASL and GDPR, and adopt email authentication and related best practices to…