Luke Rockhold rips UFC’s matchmaking: ‘This isn’t WWE, this is fighting’

There have been more than a few outspoken critics of late regarding the UFC’s decision making, which has included multiple interim title fights being added and matchmaking that ignores its own rankings system. 

Add former UFC middleweight champion Luke Rockhold to that group after being asked about the division during Wednesday’s appearance on “UFC Tonight.” 

Rockhold (15-3) lost his title by upset knockout last June against late replacement Michael Bisping in their rematch. Like many, he’s unhappy that Bisping was given a series of questionable title defenses, from a rematch against 46-year-old Dan Henderson last year to an upcoming bout against returning former welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre.

“It’s chaos, isn’t it? I think [UFC] is running down a slippery slope,” Rockhold said. “I think things could easily get out of hand. You never know what these guys are going to do. Georges isn’t going to fight anybody in the top five of our division if he wins this fight. Bisping could potentially be in the same boat. 

“I’m bummed they took this route, it has kind of taken away from the sport. The heart of the sport is about the top guys fighting each other. This isn’t WWE, this is fighting. That’s what it’s all about. When they make moves like this, it definitely makes you question what things about what your’e doing and how you approach things.”

Last November, Rockhold pulled out of a scheduled rematch against Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza in Australia because of a knee injury. With the division now in tumult as he recovers and fellow top contenders like Yoel Romero and Souza on the outside looking in, Rockhold has turned to modeling to stay busy and make money. 

“You only have so much time in this game so I’m looking at every avenue that I can,” Rockhold said. “I tore my ACL 50 percent. It is what it is, I can’t kick. I’m not going to go…

Read the full article at the Original Source..

Back to Top