A British man’sÂ heart stopped after he accidentally swallowed a 6-inch long Dover sole on a fishing trip in Boscombe, in southern England.Â
The man,Â 28, who was not named, went into cardiac arrest on Oct.Â 5 after the fish leapt into his mouth, completely blocking his throat. However, paramedics were able to clear his airwayÂ after drawing the sole free with a forceps. They saved his life.Â
Matt Harrison, an emergency responder for the South Western Ambulance Service, said he was on the scene in less than two minutes. When heÂ arrived on theÂ dimly-lit pier where the manÂ was fishing, a friend of the casualty was already performing CPR.
The man’s friend, also not named, told Harrison he had jokingly placed a fish he had just caught over his mouth. The sole then wriggled free and jumped into the patient’s throat, causing a complete obstruction.
“Initially we didnât know the true extent of the situation or what the patient was choking on, but as we questioned them further we were told he had a whole fish stuck in his windpipe,” said Martyn Box, another paramedic who attended the incident.
As the patientâs heart had already stopped, paramedics continued CPR.
He was then artificially ventilated with a bag and mask, but his airway remained blocked and he wasn’t receiving any oxygen.
The man began to deteriorate.
Harrison said: “It was clear that we needed to get the fish out or this patient was not going to survive the short journey to the Royal Bournemouth Hospital.
“I used a laryngoscope to fully extend the mouth and throat and saw what appeared like an altered colour of tissue in his throat.
“Using a McGills forceps I was able to eventually dislodge the tip of the tail and very carefully, so as not to break the tail…