Unix Engineer, Gloucester, £35-50k + benefits
InfoSec People, the IT Security recruitment experts, are recruiting for Unix Engineers to be based on-site with a large government department near Gloucester.
Working for a global leader in next gen IT services, you will be delivering crucial services into government. Critically, you will provide first and second line technical support on incidents and problems as part of a large, committed engineering team. We’re looking for people who love to solve problems and be an expert point of contact for the customer when they have issues with their desktop, storage and infrastructure.
Candidates must be willing and eligible to undergo Developed Vetting (DV) clearance checks. To meet the minimum entry requirement for this, you must have been born in the UK and be able to demonstrate ten years consecutive residency. You do not need to currently be DV cleared and are free to undertake alternative employment whilst these checks are being completed. This normally take 5-12 months.
This is an establish service provision where the team are very experienced and enjoy a good relationship with the customer. We’ll be relying on you to maintain high standards and to work proactively to identify root-causes and resolve those issues. The environment is in a constant state of upgrade and transformation, using ITIL and a robust framework of processes and procedures to be constantly updated and evolved. However, that doesn’t mean that things are rigid and staid; we need people who can deal with working in a fast-paced and think on their feet.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide first and second line technical support directly to customers on site
- Resolve issues arising on Wintel, Unix and storage equipment
- Aim for one-touch resolution but utilise escalation points if necessary
- Monitor system performance and consistent functionality
- Work to ITIL best practice guidelines
- Create and maintain effective documentation
- Deliver continual service improvement through effective standards and procedures
- Automate and improve things, where possible
- Share knowledge and best practice throughout your team
Skills & Behaviours Needed
- Deep knowledge of either Wintel, Virtualisation, Unix, Storage and backup, Desktop
- Proactive attitude and ability to work autonomously
- Passion and enthusiasm for a wide range of IT technologies, particularly infrastructure and storage
- Ability to listen to customers and make them feel like you care about their needs
- Proactive attitude to preventing problems, as well as fixing things when they break
- Communicate openly with your team of multi-skilled engineers about working practices and solutions
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
In return for your skills, a competitive salary of £35-50k is on offer, along with a very generous corporate benefits package and pension, with regular salary reviews. You’ll also be joining a global IT consultancy, so your opportunities for training and personal development are…