UCI rescinds 500 admission offers, student leaders demand apology – Orange County Register

IRVINE – UC Irvine has rescinded more than 500 admissions for the fall and some students are calling foul, saying the university has erroneously revoked their admittances.

UCI’s Associated Students, the student government association on campus, sent a letter and a petition to administrators demanding they apologize, reimburse all students whose admission status has been revoked, and establish a special transfer agreement guaranteeing those students admission to UCI after they satisfactorily complete two years at a community college.

The UCI student leaders also want to see “a case-by-case reasoning for admission withdrawal to each student,” according to the letter delivered to UCI officials on Wednesday, along with a petition of 600-plus students and others. Some students, they said, were not told why their admissions approvals had been revoked.

The university’s enrollment target is about 6,250 first-year students, but school officials won’t have an exact number of students enrolled until after the fall session begins, UCI spokesman Tom Vasich said. The offers are provisional, pending final checks of grades and other records, which must be received by July 1.

The university withdrew 503 admission offers: 294…

Read the full article at the Original Source..

Back to Top