Philadelphia chef Greg Vernick is celebrating some major recognition. He was one of this year’s Best Chef winners at the prestigious James Beard Awards and Philadelphia’s leading paper called his restaurant “the best in the city.”
Vernick joined “CBS This Morning: Saturday” to discuss which chefs influenced him and his culinary journey.
Here are some of Vernick’s signature recipes:
Mustard roasted bone-in leg of lamb with herbs and spices
7 lbs. bone-in leg of lamb
1 cup olive oil
1 cup dijon musard
4 tbsp. Kosher salt
6 cloves of fresh garlic
6 ea. Anchovies
10 sprigs of rosemary, needles only, no stem
2 tsp. Ground black pepper
2 tsp. Chili powder
4 tbps. Honey
3 tbps. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. Ground coriander
1 tsp. Ground fennel seed
1 tsp. Ground black pepper
1 tsp. Hot paprika
1 tsp. dried lavender
4 tsp. chopped fresh parsley
1. Blend all ingredients but lamb until smooth. Rub all over lamb leg covering every surface. Place into a container and cover with plastic wrap.
2. Pre-heat oven 400 degrees. After meat has had time to temper (approximately 1 hour), roast fat side up for about 45 min.-1 hour until internal temperature reaches 135 degrees.
3. Place onto a cooling rack and while still warm, glaze with the spice glaze covering as much of the surface as possible. Allow to rest approximately 30 minutes before serving. Prior to slicing, dust over the chopped parsley so it adheres to the glaze.
Tomato tart, whipped ricotta, basil
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp. water
2 cups heirloom cherry tomatoes
4 ea. vine ripe tomatoes, sliced ¼ -inch thick
1 tsp. kosher salt
¾ cup caramelized onions
¼ cup kalamata olives, petal’d off the pit
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 sheet puff pastry
10 or 12-inch cast iron pan
1. Pre-heat oven 375 degrees. Make a light caramel with the sugar and water.
2. Shingle the sliced vine ripe tomatoes down first against the caramel. Season with salt Sprinkle the caramelized onions over the sliced tomatoes.
3. Add the cherry tomatoes…