Mansfield Bank Robbery Suspect Arrested, Arraigned

Within 24 hours of a holdup at a Mansfield bank Wednesday, the suspected robber was arrested and arraigned in court.

Mervin Bundy, 42, of Prospect Avenue in Willimantic, was tracked down to a Manchester hotel late Wednesday night and arrested on charges related to his attempts to get away from police, state police said. Police from three departments were involved in the arrest.

At his arraignment in Superior Court in Manchester Thursday, his bail was boosted from $100,000 to $150,000 and he was scheduled to return to court June 29, a court clerk said.

Bundy was under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs at the time of his arrest, state police said, and was taken to a hospital to be evaluated.

He was charged with reckless driving, disobeying the signal of an officer and driving with a suspended license, police said. He also was charged with operating under the influence, illegal possession of narcotics and possession of drug paraphernalia.

He is expected to be charged with robbery at a later date.

The holdup happened shortly after 4:30 p.m. Wednesday at the TD Bank in the Eastbrook Mall, 95 Storrs Road. The bearded robber demanded money and walked out of the bank with an undisclosed amount of cash, state police said. He got into a small pick-up truck and left.

Less than nine hours later, UConn Officer Timothy Nohelty was driving home from work on I-384 when he spotted a truck that matched the description of the getaway car, UConn police said. He called in the plate to university police and learned that it matched that of the truck used by the robber.

Nohelty called 911, reported the truck to the Troop H barracks of the state police and kept troopers updated on where the truck was headed as it left the highway at Exit 1. He followed the truck until it turned into the Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham, 191 Spencer St. in Manchester, police said. He went into a different…

Read the full article at the Original Source..

Back to Top