Calum Whytock was 18 when he drank codeine laced with carfentanil at a house party in April and died within seconds.
His mother, Mioara Whytock, remembers visiting his building that night to find flashing lights and a police officer running into her son’s apartment.
“He was dead already,” she said about her only child.
“I miss him so much I can’t breathe sometimes … I loved him with all my heart.”
Whytock joined students at Mother Margaret Mary High School on Tuesday for a drug-safety presentation by two school resource officers.
Her son graduated from the school in spring of 2016.
The Edmonton high school is trying to protect students from deadly opioids that have killed hundreds of Albertans in recent years.
As the officers talked about her son, Whytock sobbed in the crowd. She had planned to share Calum’s story, but said she couldn’t bring herself to do so.
“I would have told them, trust your parents,” she said to CBC News after the event. “If you have a problem, go to them and tell them. They’re going to do everything to help you.
“I would have done everything, everything for my son. I would have given my life for him just to help him.”
‘You’re playing Russian roulette’
Const. Brandon Myhre, the school’s resource officer, keeps a framed photograph of Calum Whytock in his office.
Myhre said every weekend he worries another student will overdose on fentanyl or carfentanil.
“I treat these kids as my own children, so I can’t even imagine how I would feel if that was to happen,” Myhre said.
During Tuesday’s presentation, he asked those who knew Whytock to stand. Dozens of students and teachers rose from…